When I owned my women’s clothing store I was always surprised how many women did not have some of the basic fashion staples that are essential to building a great wardrobe. So I have compiled my own list of the ten items that I am always glad I have when I get in a fashion bind and the great things about these items is that they never go out of style!
1. White Button-Down Shirt: this fashion classic is always crisp and polished and can be worn under a suit, layered with a sweater or worn by itself with jeans. It can be purchased from just about anywhere and in any price point, my favorites are from J.Crew, Rebecca & Drew (they are sized by bra size, so your buttons stay buttoned) and Thomas Pink.
2. Black Pencil Skirt: a slim, above-the-knee version looks classic no matter what it is paired with and flatters most figures. It can be worn with simple sweaters, fun jackets or funky tops and is always a nice alternative to pants. Try looking for a classic style at Ann Taylor, J. Crew and Nordstrom. I like this version by Theory.
3. Black Pants: there is nothing more essential than black pants, they are slimming, versatile and go with everything. This is a fashion staple that I believe you should buy the most expensive pair you can afford, because they are an investment piece and the better the quality, the longer they will last. Try a pair of black pants by Theory or Lafayette 148.
4. Black and White Cami: a cotton or microfiber strappy cami is the one item that I wear almost everyday. I suggest one in white and one in black. They can be used for layering, to make a low-cut top more modest or worn under a jacket. You can get them everywhere from Target to Spanx to Victoria’s Secret. My absolute favorites are by Norm Thompson, they actually have a built in bra and fit well.
5. Black and White Basic Short Sleeve Tees: you can never have enough basic short sleeve tees and one in black and one in white are two pieces you will always find a use for, pair a basic tee with a cute printed skirt or layer under an itchy sweater. You can never go wrong with tees from Lilla P and my absolute favorite basic tees are the appropriately named, Short Sleeve Favorite T from Gap.
Click on the highlighted brands to be linked to their websites.
Stay tuned for “The Essential Ten” part two, for must have items 6-10…